Want to know how to find the cheapest auto insurance rates in St. Louis, MO? St. Louis buyers have a choice when searching for affordable Volkswagen Passat insurance. They can either spend hours driving around trying to get quotes or use the internet to get rate quotes.
There is a better way to buy auto insurance so we're going to tell you the absolute fastest way to compare rates for a Volkswagen and find the lowest price from St. Louis insurance agents and online providers.
How Your Passat Insurance Prices are Determined
Many different elements are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, but others are more obscure such as your marital status or how financially stable you are. Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find big savings.
- Proper usage rating affects premiums - The more you drive your Volkswagen each year the more you will pay for car insurance. A lot of companies price each vehicle's coverage partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Improper usage on your Passat may be costing you. Verify your car insurance policy reflects annual mileage.
- Do thieves like your car? - Selecting a car model with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent car theft.
- Never let your car insurance policy expire - Letting your insurance expire is a fast way to increase your renewal premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Missouri motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Females tend to take less risk - Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. It does not mean males are worse at driving than females. They both cause fender benders at about the same rate, but the males get into accidents with more damage. Men also statistically get more serious tickets like driving under the influence (DUI).
- Your address can push rates up or down - Being located in less populated areas can be a good thing if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Urban drivers regularly have more traffic problems and higher rates of accident claims. Spending more time driving can result in more accidents.
- Frequent policy claims increase car insurance rates - Auto insurance companies in Missouri award most affordable rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Insurance coverage is designed for more catastrophic claims.
- Insurance losses for a Volkswagen Passat - Insurers take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle to help determine the price you pay. Vehicles that historically have a trend towards higher claims will cost more for specific coverages.
The table below shows the compiled insurance loss statistics for Volkswagen Passat vehicles. For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is considered to be 100. Percentages below 100 indicate better than average losses, while numbers above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Volkswagen Passat Models
Specific Volkswagen Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volkswagen Passat 101 99 99 111 113 102
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Getting cheaper auto insurance pricing is not rocket science. Just take a couple of minutes to get quotes to find the company with cheaper St. Louis car insurance quotes.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Missouri. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you get rates from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Passat Komfort Station Wagon||$248||$552||$294||$18||$88||$1,200||$100|
|Passat Komfort 4-Dr Sedan||$124||$252||$302||$18||$90||$786||$66|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Missouri minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in specific zip code location which can change price quotes substantially.
Full coverage or liability only
The chart below examines Volkswagen Passat premium costs with and without physical damage coverage. The prices are based on no accidents or driving violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no exact formula for excluding comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's assume your Volkswagen Passat book value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premium cost is more than $700 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Physical damage deductible comparison
The diagram below shows how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Volkswagen Passat insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The premiums are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Why you need auto insurance
Despite the high insurance cost for a Volkswagen Passat in St. Louis, auto insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Missouri these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Volkswagen, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Volkswagen at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also cover most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average driver in Missouri is overpaying over $700 annually so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheaper St. Louis insurance rates with discounts
Insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you may find discounts to help bring down the price. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- 55 and Retired - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can get lower premium rates.
- Multi-policy Discount - When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having a deployed family member may lower your prices slightly.
- Onboard Data Collection - Drivers that enable data collection to spy on driving patterns remotely like Allstate's Drivewise may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Cars that have air bags can qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Distant Student - College-age children who live away from home to go to college and won't have access to an insured vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- No Charge for an Accident - This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies may permit one accident without raising rates as long as you don't have any claims before the accident.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a new Passat may earn a small discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The best insurance companies and a selection of discounts can be found below.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, online signing, and good student.
- MetLife includes discounts for good driver, claim-free, defensive driver, multi-policy, good student, and accident-free.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for anti-theft, professional/association, good student, multi-policy, type of vehicle, location of vehicle, and low natural disaster claims.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for multi-policy, good student, accident-free, anti-theft, business or organization, and Farm Bureau membership.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, military active duty, defensive driver, driver training, and anti-theft.
- AAA offers discounts for multi-car, good driver, good student, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
It's a good idea to ask every company what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of providers with the best Volkswagen Passat insurance discounts in St. Louis, follow this link.
Local agents and car insurance
Many drivers just prefer to get advice from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from local agencies is important particularly in St. Louis.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your information gets sent to agents in your area that can give you free St. Louis car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't need to drive around because prices are sent to you. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific car insurance provider, don't hesitate to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
What types of car insurance agents are in St. Louis?
If you want a reliable insurance agency, you should know the different types of agents and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance policy providers are categorized either exclusive or independent. Either one can do a good job, but it's a good idea to understand the difference between them since it could factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are appointed with more than one company and that allows them to write policies through lots of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If prices rise, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to do anything. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you need to include price quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison. Many write coverage with mutual insurance companies that may provide cheaper car insurance rates.
Below is a partial list of independent agencies in St. Louis that may be able to give you price quotes.
- Miller and Miller Insurance Agency
4615 S Lindbergh Blvd - St. Louis, MO 63127 - (314) 690-5891 - View Map
- A. Jay Meier and Associates Insurance Agency
2115 S Brentwood Blvd - St. Louis, MO 63144 - (314) 968-4444 - View Map
- Bene'-Kelly Insurance Agency
11880 Gravois Rd - St. Louis, MO 63127 - (314) 849-2888 - View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can only provide one company's prices and some examples include Allstate and State Farm. They generally cannot provide other company's prices so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are well trained on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price. A lot of people buy insurance from these agents partially due to loyalty to the company rather than having the cheapest rates.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agencies in St. Louis that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Ken Kaid - State Farm Insurance Agent
8429 Olive Blvd - St. Louis, MO 63132 - (314) 997-3339 - View Map
- Dick Ruggles - State Farm Insurance Agent
9120 Watson Rd - St. Louis, MO 63126 - (314) 842-8388 - View Map
- Andrew Broombaugh - State Farm Insurance Agent
6400 Wise Ave - St. Louis, MO 63139 - (314) 644-5900 - View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
After getting acceptable answers to all your questions and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agency that meets the criteria to provide car insurance coverage.
One last thing about your coverage
We just covered some good ideas how to reduce Volkswagen Passat insurance auto insurance rates online in St. Louis. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest auto insurance rates are with an unexpected company.
The cheapest Volkswagen Passat insurance in St. Louis is possible from both online companies as well as from independent agents in St. Louis, so get free St. Louis car insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who may not offer rate quotes online and these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
People switch companies for a variety of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices and even high rates after DUI convictions. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company is actually quite simple.
To learn more, take a look at the following helpful articles: