Price shopping your Volkswagen Golf insurance in St. Louis might be frustrating for people who have little experience shopping for insurance online. You have so many choices that it can quickly become a ton of work to find better prices on Volkswagen Golf insurance.
Sadly, a large majority of insurance policyholders in Missouri have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never quoted insurance rates at all. With the average insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save $860 every year just by comparing rates, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to save money by comparing rate quotes.
The quickest way to compare rate quotes for Volkswagen Golf insurance in St. Louis is to know the fact most larger insurance companies will pay a fee to give rate comparisons. To get started, all you need to do is provide a small amount of information including driver ages, your general credit rating, if the car is leased, and if a SR-22 is required. Your rating data gets transmitted to multiple companies and you will receive price estimates quickly.
To check Volkswagen Golf insurance prices now, click here and enter your zip code.
The car insurance companies shown below offer price comparisons in Missouri. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Golf 2.5 2-Dr Hatchback||$230||$488||$266||$16||$80||$1,080||$90|
|Golf 2.5 4-Dr Hatchback||$186||$380||$322||$20||$96||$1,004||$84|
|Golf 2.0T Turbo Diesel 2-Dr Hatchback||$250||$550||$272||$16||$82||$1,170||$98|
|Golf 2.0T Turbo Diesel 4-Dr Hatchback||$184||$322||$272||$16||$82||$876||$73|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Missouri minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy. Estimates do not factor in specific location which can lower or raise prices noticeably.
Gender-based auto insurance premiums
The example below compares Volkswagen Golf annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Should you raise deductibles?
The diagram below shows how choosing a deductible and can impact Volkswagen Golf insurance costs for each different age group. The premiums assume a married male driver, full coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Volkswagen Golf insurance, insuring your vehicle is required in Missouri but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Missouri these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Volkswagen at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $855 a year so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
When buying auto insurance it's important to understand some of the factors that come into play when calculating your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to cheaper rates.
The itemized list below are some of the major factors used by your company to calculate prices.
- Is your car built for speed? - The performance level of the car you drive makes a significant difference in your rates. Since the Volkswagen Golf is classified as a compact car, insuring your vehicle will cost the same to a little lower than the average rate where you live in St. Louis. The lowest performance passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Good drivers pay lower premiums - Drivers who don't get tickets receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Only having one chargeable violation can increase the cost of insurance by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have received severe violations such as reckless driving or DUI may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Save by driving cars with good safety ratings - Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safer cars reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates directly to fewer claims which can mean better rates for you. If your Volkswagen Golf is rated at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Car and home together may be cheaper - The majority of insurance companies apply a discount to insureds who consolidate policies with them. It's known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be 10 percent or more. Even with this discount applied, you may still want to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Mature drivers are lower risk - Teenage drivers in Missouri are proven to be less responsible when driving so auto insurance rates are higher. Older, more experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
- Volkswagen Golf insurance loss data - Auto insurance companies factor in historical loss data to help determine rates. Models that are shown to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have increased rates.
The next table illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Volkswagen Golf vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is set at 100. Values that are under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate frequent claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Volkswagen Golf Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volkswagen Golf 109 97
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but you may be missing some discounts that many people don't even know exist. Most are applied when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested before they will apply.
- First Accident Forgiveness - Not a discount per se, but companies like Allstate and Progressive allow you one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven't had any claims for a set time period.
- Active Military Service - Being on active duty in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Buy New and Save - Insuring a new Golf can get you a discount because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Safe Drivers - Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - Require your teen driver to enroll in driver's education in school or through a local driver safety program.
As a footnote on discounts, many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, companies don't profit that way. But all discounts will definitely lower the amount you pay for coverage.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts are:
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including vehicle fuel type, bundle, defensive driver, air bag, good student, and driver training.
- American Family includes discounts for accident-free, Steer into Savings, air bags, mySafetyValet, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts for homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, and online signing.
- Travelers offers premium reductions for driver training, new car, save driver, continuous insurance, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include pay in full, teen driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, business and professional, and mature driver.
- USAA has discounts for defensive driver, driver training, military installation, new vehicle, vehicle storage, safe driver, and annual mileage.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including safety features, teen driver discount, new graduate, preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle, and multi-policy.
Check with each insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not apply in your state. To choose companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in St. Louis, click here to view.
Auto insurance is available from local agents
A small number of people prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a smart move A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find lower car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. And providing support for small agencies is important particularly in St. Louis.
By using this simple form, your coverage information is immediately sent to companies in St. Louis who will give you bids for your coverage. You never need to visit any agencies because prices are sent directly to your email. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to compare prices for a specific company, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right company shouldn't rely on just the bottom line cost. Any agent in St. Louis should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- How many companies do they write for?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
Don't give up on cheaper rates
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don't be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
In this article, we presented a lot of techniques to get a better price on Volkswagen Golf insurance in St. Louis. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable St. Louis auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best car insurance rates are with the smaller companies.
Lower-priced Volkswagen Golf insurance in St. Louis can be bought on the web and from local insurance agents, so get free St. Louis auto insurance quotes from both of them to have the best selection. A few companies do not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
To learn more, link through to the articles below:
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Wentzville, Missouri? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 19 Year Olds in Missouri? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Missouri Auto Insurance for a Ford Explorer? (FAQ)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)